skip to Main Content

Going for it.

Back into ABC on Friday afternoon after a worthwhile acclimatisation climb to camp 2, where we slept for the night at 6750 metres.

We deposited a tent, food, stoves, gas, rope and other climbing gear in readiness for our return. With camp 1 and camp 2 both now stocked, our next push will be for the summit.

Saturday and Sunday were spent eating and sleeping, and yesterday saw my second wash since arriving at the mountain.

Mmm, speaking of things savoury, yesterday also saw the big ‘taste off’ between my vegemite and Neil’s evil marmite. A range of Sherpas, Tibetans and climbers were invited to participate, wth Vegemite the undisputed winner. (basecamp amusement.)

A small but strong international team of climbers made a summit push yesterday but were unsuccessful in traversing from the central summit to the main summit. This is where i’ve also been stopped on previous attempts.

My team’s plan is to attempt to traverse from camp 3 to another ridge on the north face which cuts out the central summit and provides direct access to the main summit but it is long, crevassed and difficult climbing, so we know we’ll have our work cut out for us.

We are fit and motivated and the wrather appears to be holding, so we’ll start the summit push tomorrow. If all goes well, we’re hoping to summit on 2 October.

Next report won’t be until the 3rd or 4th. Wish us luck please.

Back To Top